Saturday, January 1, 2011

G’s Blah Year: 2010

January

Not an exciting month.  Yawn.

February

This was the month that winter eating really hit.  My friend Nadine and I spent the better part of a Sunday making cupcakes.  Here’s one of mine:

misc 037

There were also a couple of weekend days that could basically be considered Denver-Boulder food tours.  Here’s me at Proto’s at the end of one of these tours.

Saturday in Feb 2010 028

March

Of course, the Academy Awards Show is in March and I went to Lisa’s for our annual champagne-drinking-Oscar-watching event:

Oscars 2010 030

I spent a few chilly but fun days in Moab, Utah, with Trisha and Kara.  This is Kara and I on a hike in Arches National Park:

059

Delicate Arch

082

It also snowed in Denver.  This isn’t rare but I did get some mediocre photos. This was one I took from the door of my condo building as I headed out for my walk to work:

DC g iphone 141

April

I went to my first roller derby – lots of fun actually!  It is about as violent as you’d think.  One woman had a black eye and lots of them had bruises, but they looked to be having a good time…

misc march 006

I attended my first black tie event – the Downtown Denver Awards.  I posted extensively on my girly anxiety related to what to wear to this event.  I think I did an ok job in the end:

DD awards 013

Hiking started in April! 

While descending Bear Peak outside of Boulder, my ankle turned on a rock and I landed in a prickly bush.  Unfortunately, my attempt to break my fall I ended up landing on my thumb.  It was sore for several weeks.  This is my in my blah hiking wear on the trail (my hiking wear is basically this and it will be featured in most hiking shots).

misc spring 2010 2 245

Oh, on and near the summit of this hike, there are always gobs and gobs of ladybugs!  Note the piles of them in the background of this photo.

misc spring 2010 2 247

May

The memorable event in May was going to DC for the WTS International Conference.  This was the first WTS conference I attended.  It was worthwhile but exhausting with social events in the evenings and getting up early each morning.  One of the highlights was a mobile tour to DC’s Union Station where there is a fabulously designed bike station!

DC 2010 015

Did get a chance to visit Fredericksburg, VA, and Chatham Manor, which is a beautiful garden and old plantation.  It was also the site of late night mischief in my high school years…

DC sandy iphone 141

There are so many old, huge trees, some of which I think are “historic” and are preserved and kept upright with bolts and wires.  There are even enormous ginkgo trees.

DC 2010 047

Also got to visit with Jake and Morgan!  Here a photo of those gorgeous children:

DC g iphone 198

June

Hiking season begins in earnest!  First was Cameron and Bross (both done on the same day).

Misc May June 2010 023

Then there was the West Elk backpacking trip with Lisa.  I have an entire blog post about this trip, but here is photo that isn’t in that post (I think my eyes are closed – typical):

west elk backpacking 120

July

July was a fabulous outdoor month.

The trip to Glacier National Park was the most memorable thing I did in July.  This is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.

glacier g 103

glacier w 104

In Colorado, there was backpacking into the Sangre de Cristo Wilderness area and climbing of Humboldt.  Colorado in summer is heavenly. 

The view while pumping water:

Humboldt 046

The ascent with Crestone Peak and Crestone Needle shrouded in clouds behind me:

Humboldt s 027

The summit ridge:

Humboldt s 032

Bonus!  Lots and lots of not-at-all-timid marmots.

Humboldt 085

Then there was also the ascent of Torreys via the Kelso Ridge – so much fun (really!).  Here’s me on the ascent:

Kelso ridge wG s 039

And here’s me on the “knife edge” – I’m actually quite scared here but trying to look tough for the camera.

Kelso ridge wG s 058

August

Summer was winding down for me.  Lots of allergy “desensitization” shots had my immune system so worn out I was getting sick a lot.  I did get out with Lisa though – we hiked Devil’s thumb.  The mushrooms and flowers were the most memorable from this hike:

Devils thumb 002

Devils thumb 013

September

Attended both the Fort Collins and the Denver Tour de Fat events.  Tour de Fat is New Belgium Brewing’s festival of bikes, beer, and freaks!  Thousands of people come out on bikes in costume – it’s a good time.

Tour de Fat 2010 FoCo 099

This is me (left) with Amy and April on our way to the Tour de Fat opening parade.

Tour de Fat 2010 FoCo 013

September also is peak time for the changing of the Aspen trees leaves to golden!  Combined a trip to Buena Vista for the Autumn Color run with a leaf-viewing trip.

BV Sept 2010 002 2

The annual Rocky Mountain National Park camping trip to listen to the elk rut is a September event.  This year Lisa and her family joined us.  Me and Lisa!

rmnp weekend 2010 046

October

New York City baby! Loved NYC.  There is so much to see and watch and experience. 

Loved the subway:

NYC 2010 S 043

Loved Central Park:

s iphone 3

Loved the food – but actually didn’t get many photos of it.

Rail~Volution was in Portland, OR, in October also, but there is a post on that.

November

Not a lot happened in November.  Went to Joyful Journey Hot Springs for Thanksgiving – that was lovely.  No phone, no internet, no TV – just reading, soaking, eating, and napping.

JJ Nov 2010 g 028

December

A crazy month but nothing to speak of…

Happy New Year!

3 comments:

  1. I loved your blog! I happened upon it by looking at your July 2010 Kelso Ridge pix... then got absorbed into the entire blog... and I'm not typically a blog reader. Anyway maybe I'll get you to write and say hello or go for some outdoor adventure! -Adam (now I'll try to figure out how to post this and see if I can share contact info!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I was just on Kelso Ridge but only had a video camera. :)

    ReplyDelete