Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Oscar 2011

oscarweb

The nominees for the 83rd Academy Awards were announced today.  Overall I feel that the nominees this year are populated by very deserving candidates – perhaps more than in past years.  Last year I wasn’t too excited about the nominations and last year was the first year the Academy allowed ten movies to compete for best picture.

Best Picture – I’ve seen them all this year!

  • Black Swan – good but not going to win
  • The Fighter – excellent, has a chance!
  • Inception – I enjoyed it but not going to win
  • The Kids Are All Right – I thoroughly enjoyed it but not going to win
  • The King's Speech – excellent, this will probably be neck and neck with a one or two others.
  • 127 Hours – amazing but not sure that it’ll win best picture
  • The Social Network – the perfect representation of our times – this won the Golden Globes this year…just sayin’
  • Toy Story 3 – definitely an animated film deserving of accolades, but not going to win.
  • True Grit – ugh, this will probably be a contender.
  • Winter's Boneloved this one and it’s an underdog, great acting, etc, but not going to win.

Despite my feelings about the various films, my money is split between The King’s Speech (12 nominations overall) and The Social Network (8 nominations).  If one of those two don’t get it, The Fighter probably will.

Directing – Yikes, I’d be ok with any but True Grit winning.  David Fincher won the Golden Globe.

  • “Black Swan” Darren Aronofsky
  • “The Fighter” David O. Russell
  • “The King's Speech” Tom Hooper
  • “The Social Network” David Fincher
  • “True Grit” Joel Coen and Ethan Coen

Actress in a Leading Role – I can’t comment because I haven’t seen Rabbit Hole or Blue Valentine.  Natalie Portman won at the Golden Globe (for a drama).

  • Annette Bening in “The Kids Are All Right”
  • Nicole Kidman in “Rabbit Hole”
  • Jennifer Lawrence in “Winter's Bone”
  • Natalie Portman in “Black Swan”
  • Michelle Williams in “Blue Valentine”

Actor in a Leading Role – I’ve seen all but Biutiful.  The one I want to win is James Franco, but I suspect Colin Firth has this one in the bag (he won the Golden Globe for a drama).

  • Javier Bardem in “Biutiful”
  • Jeff Bridges in “True Grit”
  • Jesse Eisenberg in “The Social Network”
  • Colin Firth in “The King's Speech”
  • James Franco in “127 Hours”

I’m not going to go through every category.  You get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment