Monday, June 7, 2010

Zadivertic

I have had allergies since the year 2000.  I didn’t recognize them as allergies until 2006.  Until then I just wondered, golly, why do I get so many sinus infections and colds?  A mere 10 years later I finally took an allergy test and found that I’m allergic to most things. 

 

After the allergy test and after trying to affect positive change in my allergic condition through environmental factors (pillow covers, keeping bedroom windows closed at ALL times, not going outside between the hours of 10 am and 4 pm, etc.), my allergist and I decided that “desensitization” shots were the ticket.  This involves shots 1-3 times per week until I’ve had 30 shots.  After that it’s just “maintenance” shots – one per week. 

 

I actually get two shots each time.  In my left arm I get all the pollens – trees, weeds, grasses – in the right arm I get the rest – dog, dust, mold, etc.  After receiving these shots I must remain in the allergist’s office for 30 minutes each time.  That is to make sure I don’t have a reaction.  A reaction, however, can happen anywhere from 5 minutes after to several days after.  I am now supposed to carry an “EpiPen,” which is an auto-injector that administers epinephrine.  This should be used in the event that I have an anaphylactic reaction.  If my co-workers find me on the ground passed out, not breathing or having difficulty breathing then they are to administer this EpiPen (see photo below – it can be self administered) and then call 911.

 

epipen

So, today I dropped off the prescription for the EpiPen and picked up some essentials of an allergy sufferer (as well as other random bits).  As I was emptying my bag of waxed dental tape (2 for $1.99!), gum, Zaditor, and Alavert, I started thinking about the strange names for these medications.  Zaditor is an antihistamine eye drop (works wonders) and Alavert is an antihistamine in general (for eyes, nose, etc.).  I am also on Palgic, which is a prescription antihistamine.  I’m sure it must have something to do with the chemical compound but, really, Alavert!

 

I never wanted to be on all of this stuff but suffering allergies is pretty debilitating.  I mean really – there is no way that I am going to stay indoors between the hours of 10:00 am and 4:00 pm all summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment