Sunday, November 7, 2010

Bcycle

I have to admit that I was a little skeptical about the probability of success for the bike share program (Bcycle) that started in Denver this year.  I think they started with 45 or so locations and 500 bikes. I thought they might not have enough bikes and were maybe putting them in locations without enough density. I don’t actually know what level of success the program has achieved but personally I love it!

In July we did the “Tour de Bcycle” which involves renting a bike at one location, going to another Bcycle kiosk, docking that bike, getting another bike, going to the next Bcycle kiosk, and on and on until you’ve hit every Bcycle location in a single day.  It was a great way to spend the day after Independence day and turned into a little bar crawl after 5:00 pm with only a handful of Bcycle locations left.  Here are some photos from that day:

bcycle 033 2

bcycle 017 2

The Tour was my first introduction to Bcycle and an excellent way to get to know the system and become comfortable with it. Since then, I’ve won an annual membership and use it fairly frequently.  Of course, my work and home locations are ideal for its use – I work downtown and live about a mile away in Capitol Hill. 

Speaking of happy hour, last night we made our own little Bcycle bar crawl. We hopped on a Bcycle at 13th/Pearl.  From there we docked and went to the Great Divide Brewing (home of Titan IPA) tap room and enjoyed yummy, fresh-brewed, Colorado craft beer. Next was Tamayo for some mezcal.  We grabbed yet another Bcycle and rode all the way to the Botanic Gardens – free night and has a Bcycle kiosk – to meet friends. We capped the evening at City o City back in the hood.

I was able to wear open-toed shoes and just a sweater because the early November Colorado weather was perfect! The only photos that turned out are one of me and one of Tony Everhart eating a cupcake.  Unfortunately no action bike shots.

photo 1

photo 2

No comments:

Post a Comment