Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Anxiety-fueled run

“You’re a real trooper.”  That’s what my dentist and dental assistant said to me repeatedly during my two-hour appointment today. 

Now, the truth is that I am not a real trooper.  In fact, when getting dental work done I normally get “the gas” – i.e. nitrous oxide. It helps but they rarely turn it up high enough to cut through the anxiety. I go to a dentist that specializes in patients with anxiety related to dentistry.  You’re probably thinking “who doesn’t have some anxiety related to going to the dentist?”  Well, I’ll tell you.  I’ve been to dentists that basically told me that I needed to buck up or leave.  The difference between those dentists and my dentist is that my dentist is empathetic and gentle, which should be the norm but really isn’t.

I went in for two fillings and a crown.  When I was informed today that the gas was in use by other patients and not available for me, I became, let’s say, visibly fearful.  The dental assistant was so comforting and sweet.  She actually started tearing up when I shed some tears of fear.  The lesson for the day for me is that a little kindness can go a long way to making someone feel better. 

After arriving home post-appointment, I quickly changed and went for a great run.  I think my body was charged with pent up anxiety.  Also the temperature was perfect just after sunset in Cheesman Park.

I took some photos of myself and my numbed lip but I’m not going to share them.

No comments:

Post a Comment