Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My new favorite blog (other than all of my friends’ blogs)

About two weeks ago my loving significant other sent me an email with a link to a blog: Hyperbole and a Half

I. LOVE. IT.

First, her drawings are just my speed – I’m a sucker for simple and stick figure.  In previous posts, I’ve provided evidence of my joy of stick figure-based art but this one also has stories!

Oh where to start…the first post I saw was one about the woman who does the art and stories and her adventures in illness.  Here is one of the pictures in that story – this is one of her in the ER (the doctor is the one tell her to pee).

ER3(alternate)

This is the text along with the drawing:

I knew I had reached a pretty low point in my life.  There I was, halfway unconscious on a toilet; trying my hardest to pee into a tiny plastic cup and not on my own hand or the floor.  It sounds like a very simple goal to accomplish, but it isn't. I was crying quietly and drooling on myself.  I didn't even care that a stranger was standing there watching the whole pathetic situation. In that moment, I had no dignity.

Trust me, this passage is funny in the context of the rest of the story.

I’ve been spending about 15-20 minutes a night reading backwards in the blog.  Honestly, I find nearly every post laugh-out-loud funny but, of course, some are funnier than others.  For example, the “How a fish almost destroyed my childhood” was…oh, you’ll HAVE to check it out for yourself.  At first I was horrified but by the end it all came together.

I also enjoy the blog because I relate to this woman in several respects.

1. We both don’t like spiders. As my man can attest if you add me plus spider you get the same result as below.

spider3

2. We both recognize and analyze the business of awkward situations.  She has an entire post entitled “The Awkward situation survival guide.”    I often say that my super power is the ability to always say the wrong thing.  She covers that.

image

Anyway, I highly recommend you check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment