Saturday, May 29, 2010

SATC2

I saw Sex on the City 2 last night.  I was joined by my friend Hillary, it was also my goodbye to her before her voyage to Salt Lake City and her new life very soon.

 

The movie was over-the-top opulent and it was not a “good” movie by many standards. BUT as a long-time Sex and the City fan, it was a lot of fun to watch.  It was a bit long at 2 hours but I guess if we only get our Sex and the City fix every few years, then it’s got to be a bit longer. The movie did contain lots of cheesy parts.  For example, the four women sang “I am woman” at a karaoke bar in Abu Dhabi but even that had some energy.

 

sex-and-the-city-2-photo

 

I did have a little nagging thought in the back of my brain about how spoiled these women characters are.  I know I’m not supposed to think about this during this type of movie.  I suppose I was hoping for a bit of dialogue on how lucky they are to live such affluent lives of freedom when confronted with women wearing veils and hemmed in by morality police in the Middle East. There was not much comment from the women on this, which I found a little disappointing but I guess that would take away from the fantasy and decadence that makes Sex and the City what it is – fun, witty and amusing.

 

I do have to say that the movie, from a very privileged perspective, did hit on the issues of motherhood, modern marriage, not having children, and respect for women in the professional world.  But, thinking about the women I know who have kids and work, a woman who doesn’t work and who has a nanny and is freaked out by motherhood (and then goes on to obsess about her nanny’s sexuality)is a bit pretentious.  Of course, this is coming from someone who has no children, so, admittedly, what do I know?

 

Oh but guess what!  There was a new hamster commercial.  Yes, I know this is consumerism (and cars…) but it’s also hamsters!

 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for not giving away the plot of SATC2! Or is there a plot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. there's a very thinly veiled plot...

    ReplyDelete