Thursday, May 6, 2010

In the Loop Box

I’m a bit behind with the movie posts.  I don’t know if I mentioned, but in order to keep track of the movies I see in 2010, my goal is to include them all in blog posts. 
About two weeks ago I saw In the Loop and The BoxI didn’t love either one.
In the Loop (2009)
short description from Netflix:
When the US president and the UK prime minister decide to invade a certain Middle Eastern country, skeptical American and British operatives do their best to stop the runaway train to war in this scathing political comedy.
This one got good reviews and it looked like it would be funny but I didn’t really get into it.  I recognize the humor and the play of politics and the media and how all of it comes together to actually shape the world we live in through decisions made based on those things and all of that, but it didn’t reach me (typical lately).  The New Yorker review agrees with me but there were several funny bits, I’ll admit, and I think that others would enjoy the movie. 
in_the_loop_2009_600x400_562830
The Box (2009)
Ok, this movie’s premise was intriguing – a family receives a box with a big red button, if one of them pushes it they get $1 million but someone they don’t know dies.  Now, there’s no such thing as a free lunch and we all know that going in but the movie goes in some strange directions.  The director, Richard Kelly, is the same person that directed Donnie Darko, which explains a lot.  I liked Donnie Darko, but there were some parts that I didn’t 100% get.
If you’ve seen the movie (or aren’t going to and don’t care if you find out what happens) there is a great Slate Spoiler Special on this movie that explores all the bizarre things that happen.  All I’m going to say is that the extraterrestrial forces and the time and/or space traveling water box threw me.  See it for yourself.
the-box-movie

No comments:

Post a Comment