Monday, May 31, 2010

Movie Catch Up

On Saturday I blogged about my recent viewing of Sex and the City 2 but I neglected to blog about the five movies I saw before that but after my last movie post

In chronological order, I saw the following movies:

An Education – Enjoyed this one.  Two friends gave it lukewarm reviews and I went in with low expectations but ended up enjoying it.   Peter Sarsgaard had the lead male role and I generally like his work.  I was also thoroughly taken by the acting of Carey Mulligan – the lead female.  Her ability to pull off both a clever young girl and the witty, knowledge of someone older was excellently executed.  The movie also had some solid commentary on the situation of women in the early 60s – should they just marry and have kids or go and get their education and possibly work as a lonely teacher? 

The Lovely Bones – So-so.  Intense but I’ve never been a fan of any movie that attempts to portray what death or between life and death or whatever may be like.  Invariably they end up making it a bit sugary.  Stanley Tucci did do an amazing job of being a creepy and disgusting killer.

Sherlock Holmes – Mainstream fun.  Robert Downey Jr. does a great job playing the smug smart guy who can (surprisingly) kick ass (think about Iron Man).  The filming is done well (everything looks to have the hue of an old but crisp daguerreotype photograph) and the storyline keeps you thinking, as one would expect from Sherlock Holmes.

Clash of the Titans (2010) – Not good.  Lots of fights not much substance.  Funny to see Liam Neeson as Zeus though.

Dead Man Walking – Unsurprisingly engaging. Don’t know why I waited so long to see this one.  Susan Sarandon was (as always) fabulous and definitely overshadowed Sean Penn.  Tough subject though – the replay of the murder and rape scenes are haunting me a bit.

Those are the five that I saw prior to Sex and the City 2.   Don’t tell anyone, but after getting home from a fun dinner last night, I watched G-Force.  Yes, it’s the one about the FBI agent guinea pigs and yes it was pretty stupid (but sort of funny too!).

2 comments:

  1. Will and I went to see "An Education" and he giggled: it was very much like his childhood, with the cars and the various activities, including some of the foods served. We really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh and I like the new opening photo!

    ReplyDelete