Sunday, October 5, 2008

I was an invisible cyclist today!

Today, I rode my bike to a friend's house and back - something like a total of 5 miles or so. I had three disturbing incidents!

The first one is extremely disturbing. I'm in the left lane on Clarkson (at Colfax and Clarkson) waiting for the light to change (I'm in the left lane because I'm going to take a left onto 16th - one block up). The light turns green and this car pulls up pretty darn close to me - it's a white car, a police car. The policeman driver says "I'm gonna hit you." This statement is followed by a call for me to "get on the sidewalk" from the policewoman in the passenger seat!! I don't even know what to say about this except that it was pretty terrifying.

The next two are not uncommon. While riding on 16th Ave a car crossing at Pearl pretty much ignored my presence and decided to cross 16th while I was right in his path. I slowed and looked at the guy and he sort of hurriedly waved his hand for me to get out of the way. Later I was riding back home on 16th Ave and the light turned green as I approached the intersection. I was just beside the 2nd car in line (I was going straight) when it turned right - no turn signal and no acknowledgement of my presence.

This all seems completely outrageous because I was just in Portland, Or, where cars stop for peds in crosswalks where there is neither a stop sign nor a traffic signal and that bikes are given some level of deference.

3 comments:

  1. I think some follow-up with the police incident is warranted. That's just whack. And really frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree however I didn't get any number off the police car and all I remember about either of them is that the drive had tatoos on his left arm. I was a little shaken until about a block later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you gave a description of who was in the car, they could probably track down who it was, given the district it happened in and who was on shift...If you're inclined to go that route. I'm sure they'd be ultra responsive to your complaint.

    ReplyDelete