Monday, August 2, 2010

Unthinkable Invictus Valentine’s Day

I am again behind in my movie reviews.  I wrote reviews on two movies I saw in the theater recently but I’ve neglected those that I’ve watched at home.  So, I’m doing three in one here.

Unthinkable (2010)

The government discovers a plot to destroy America with three hidden nuclear weapons. A seasoned interrogator (Samuel L. Jackson) and FBI agent (Carrie-Anne Moss) must find out where they are. A suspected terrorist (Michael Sheen) who's in custody is their only chance for a timely answer. But what will it take to get him to talk?

Skip this one.  The premise of the movie sounds like it’s going to be a movie that might examine the issues and practicalities of terrorism and torture and maintaining safety.  It doesn’t deliver.  It’s got a lot of nasty torture scenes and bad acting.  Please don’t torture yourself; don’t watch it.

unthinkable01

Invictus (2009)

President Mandela wins over country by backing existing rugby team and encouraging them to win the World Cup.

The problem with this movie was that we already know what happens.  We know South Africa wins the world cup and that Mandela isn’t assassinated.  For me that took some of the umph out of the film. Morgan Freeman does an amazing job as Mandela but the movie got too much hype.

invictus-movie-poster-1

Valentine’s Day (2010)

Ok, I’m married.  I’ve been married for a long time and, on top of that, I’m a bit cynical.  So I may not have the proper empathy for the characters in this movie.  But, that said, this movie was awful

I’m trying to think of something I liked about the movie…nope.  I’m at a loss for words.  I’ll take a quote from an Entertainment Weekly review, “Every skit is lame, every line of dialogue is stale, every joke falls flat, and every performance has been phoned in between text messages to agents blinking, ‘SOS!’”

Valentines-Day-Movie-Poster-2-valentines-day-2010-9477295-450-6813

No comments:

Post a Comment