Sunday, August 8, 2010

Salty

We gave in again to the lure of an air-conditioned theater and its summer movie fare.  We saw Salt on Friday.

Salt (2010)

After she's accused of being a Russian sleeper spy, rogue CIA agent Evelyn Salt (Angelina Jolie) goes on the run, using every tactic, accent and disguise she knows to elude her pursuers, clear her name and protect her husband. Her supervisor, Winter (Liev Schreiber), buys her story, while counterintelligence officer Peabody (Chiwetel Ejiofor) decidedly does not and will do anything to stop her in this fast-paced, intrigue-filled spy adventure.

For a summer movie it served its primary function – to entertain.  Spy thrillers are not usually my cup of tea, but I do enjoy seeing Angelina Jolie kick ass, which she does, handily.  Also, I’ll say it, she’s sexy and has a powerful magnetism.  The role that she plays was originally written for Tom Cruise (who rejected this for Knight & Day).  Thank heavens she took it instead of him, what a yawner to see a man (and Cruise) in another action movie.

Salt-Movie-Stills-002 

Not that the plot is particularly important, but it is strange that it was a Russian theme.  That’s so 80s and not as relevant to today as other places. 

One thing that was displeasing to me was that her husband was an arachnologist – spiders.  There were actual living spiders show in the movie and, in flash backs of their DC apartment, there were spider drawings on the walls and so on.  It was disturbing.  My theory is that the subtle emphasis of spider images was meant to elevate the subconscious fear in viewers. 

So, see it, don’t see it, it won’t have a lasting impact on your life either way.

3 comments:

  1. Entertaining review, G. I agree, anything with Tom Cruise is unwatchable, with the exception of Tropic Thunder. It's been years since I've seen a movie in a theater (long story involving a mid-life career change and a kid), so I am dependent on others for actual theater experiences. If you get the chance, try Moon (2009). It's more cerebral sci-fi than action, but well made and acted, starring Sam Rockwell and written and directed by Duncan Jones (who happens to be David Bowie's son).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, I've seen Moon and definitely enjoyed it - see blog post on January 31, 2010. Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of your previous reviews. District Nine is one that I wanted to see, but had forgotten about. I guess I'm going to have to explore your archives.

    ReplyDelete