Monday, August 9, 2010

Before the son of rambow knows you’re dead

More movies.  In July we watched Son of Rambow and Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead.

Son of Rambow (2007)

British kids make a campy Rambo spoof.  One kid has super religious parents and the other has absentee parents.  Also, there are androgynous foreign exchange students.

This movie generally received good reviews that used words like “inventive,” “hero story,” and so on.  I’m not easily taken by the antics of cute kids, which may explain my lack of enthusiasm for this film.  That’s all.

son_of_rambow_movie_image__2_

Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead (2007)

The perfect crime goes horribly wrong for brothers Andy (Philip Seymour Hoffman) and Hank (Ethan Hawke) when they botch a robbery of their parents' jewelry store in this wrenching drama. Albert Finney and Rosemary Harris co-star as Andy and Hank's unsuspecting parents, with Marisa Tomei appearing as Gina, Andy's unfaithful wife.

This movie was recommended to me several times.  The description, which makes it sound like a male-focused, robbery picture, never really grabbed me.  The cast, however, I found intriguing.  The first time I really noticed Philip Seymour Hoffman was in The Big Lebowski.  I’ve been taken ever since.  Ethan Hawke, however, is a bit hit or miss.  He’s ok but his range seems limited – not nearly as bad as Keanu Reeves but that’s not really saying much.  Marisa Tomei on the other hand is always worth watching. 

I enjoyed it but I don’t think it should become a classic or anything like that.

beforedevildead

No comments:

Post a Comment