Sunday, July 18, 2010

Shutter Island

 

We watched Shutter Island at home the night before we saw Inception in the theatre.  I posted about Inception just after the viewing last night (and my scattered writing betrays my lack of collected thoughts). The similarities didn’t occur to me right away – other than that the lead for both movies was Leonardo DiCaprio.  In fact, now I find it quite a coincidence that we happened to see these two films back to back. 

Warning: I might do a little spoiling for Shutter Island (and maybe Inception).

shutter_island_ver2_xlg

In Shutter Island, DiCaprio is a US Marshal investigating the escape of a patient/inmate at Shutter Island, which is a penitentiary for the criminally insane.  He goes through his entire search, which of course leads him in circles.  We finally discover that he is a patient at the facility!  He is criminally insane and suffered a great trauma and cannot face reality.  He lives in a world where he didn’t commit any crime but is constantly seeking the person who did, but that person is him.

In Inception, DiCaprio is a thief.  He enters dreams and steals ideas.  The movie starts with a dream within a dream.  He’s in someone’s head while he’s in someone’s head.  The movie viewer almost never knows if she is in a dream or in reality.  The viewer does come to see, however, how fine the line can be. 

I didn’t really get into Shutter Island much.  Sure, the twist at the end was interesting and the filming had some eye-catching details but it wasn’t enough.  I was drawn to it because the trailer piqued my curiosity (which isn’t too terribly difficult) and it was a Scorsese film but it felt a bit flat.   Inception on the other hand is worth seeing!

No comments:

Post a Comment