Tuesday, July 27, 2010

It’s Complicated

I really thought I was going to hate this movie.  I didn’t hate it and I’m pretty certain I’m not the target demographic. I found it to be somewhat witty and delightful, even if it was in a world of extreme privilege. 

It’s Complicated (2009)

Netflix description:

Ten years after their divorce, Jane (Meryl Streep) and Jake (Alec Baldwin) Adler unite for their son's college graduation and unexpectedly end up sleeping together. But Jake is married, and Jane is embarking on a new romance with her architect, Adam (Steve Martin). Now, she has to sort out her life -- just when she thought she had it all figured out.

The chemistry between Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin was surprising and engaging.  The whole movie had a sort of lightness – like “life lite.”  Serious life issues are coming up but the movie is designed in such a way that you can’t get too serious about those issues with the prancy music, the comic relief characters and beautiful things everywhere.

The two characters that I found the most enjoyable were John Krasinski and Steve Martin – the funny guys.  Steve Martin really came alive in the pot smoking section of the movie.  I never even imagined that there would be a pot smoking section in this movie!!  What a pleasant surprise.  John Krasinski is fine in The Office (I don’t watch TV but have caught the American version of The Office  a few times here and there) but was AWESOME in Away We GoHe is  a charming addition to this film.   

itscomplicatedpic7

Oh, did I mention privilege?  It was a bit over the top.  I mean Steve Martin was her architect and he was tasked with designing her a bigger kitchen.  In one part of the film she just gives her college-age son her credit card!  Who would do that?  Slate does a Spoiler Special on this movie and does a good job of covering this point.

1 comment:

  1. I liked this movie, too, in spite of myself. I didn't love it and didn't hate it, even though I expected to hate it. I think the privilege thing is just part of a Nancy Meyers film. It does kind of distract from the movie, as though the story wouldn't be nearly as compelling if the characters were merely middle class.

    ReplyDelete