Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Very little

I'm posting here just to let anyone who might follow this thing know that I'm alive. If you're a friend on facebook then you already know that.

I made it back from Phoenix and rested my sick self for two or so days. Now I'm back! Healthy! Well, except for the pesky dry cough that drove me from yoga tonight. Ready to spend hours of my waking life at work digging myself out! Yeah! Thankfully I like my job.

When I got back from Phoenix I did take a class, which I had signed up for about a month earlier. Now, I read pretty slow - not sound out the words slow but not as fast as I'd like. So, I took one of those speed reading classes. I had always thought about it but never done it - I don't recommend it. Such a racket. Sure you learn some tips but you're not really going to improve unless you by the $400 dvd set.

Other than that I finished a book I would recommend: Alice Munro's Runaway. A book of short stories that captures you in the lives of the female main characters. The detailed yet every-day style with which she writes is very compelling. I also read The Suicide Collectors. You could probably skip it unless you're a voracious consumer of post-apocalyptic fiction, which I am. This book had elements of Cormac McCarthy's The Road, The Lord of the Rings, the movie The Happening, reminders of the Mormon religion, and hints of the movie Omega Man. It was also the first book for this author.

Anyway here is one of the three non-transit pictures I took in Phoenix - public art - a centipede:

2 comments:

  1. Not gonna lie: the centipede is freaking me out.

    And *I* can totally help with your speed reading, if you want to send *me* the $400... paid in full, cash or check...

    ReplyDelete
  2. But you're into gardening and digging in the dirt, how can you feel that way about a centipede? Perhaps it is the size - it came to about mid calf. There was actually a big, nasty, bronze scorpion that I could barely look at.

    The check is in the mail :)

    ReplyDelete