Sunday, December 2, 2012

Alameda and Tejon

In mid-November we went for dim sum at Super Star Asian. This excursion was for the birthday of a friend of a friend. We sat down to the table of four adults and two children (already seated) and were immediately surrounded by carts of buns and dumplings. It was amazingly overwhelming. I was offered lobster, duck, and shrimp in various forms. I was originally a little leery of the prospect of dim sum. I mean, who knows what might be inside of a steamed or fried this or that…and what is shu mai anyway? Though since I like shrimp I knew that I could eat something there and I went without protest. I was pleasantly surprised! Even I, a discerning eater, walked away with a too full stomach. It was actually a pretty fun experience. They did serve the lobster head with the plate of lobster bits (a prawn was added so the big guy wouldn’t get lonely).

nov 2012 more 007

Afterwards, we all journeyed to the other end of the block to the Pacific Ocean International Supermarket to check out the offerings and walk off the dim sum. There was a subsection of the market devoted to glassware, kitchen utensils, and miscellaneous other items. The scantily clad plastic doll in the photo below falls into the latter category. It was actually in with some kids toys…so, I guess it’s for kids. All I know is that it’s butt actually jiggled. 

nov 2012 more 003

Anyway…they sell a variety of items at the Pacific Ocean market – including unicorn horns! Well, that’s what they look like. Not actually sure what they really are though.

nov 2012 more 009

Having arrived back from Portland just two weeks earlier, there were some other items that stood out. I say this because Portland seems to be the land of the gluten-free, vegan everything.  So, to see both canned fried gluten and “big gluten ball” was odd.

nov 2012 more 010

nov 2012 more 011

We bought some noodles and gummy candy and called it a day. Super Star Asian was pretty tasty and they serve dim sum all day – I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment