Sunday, January 15, 2012

Masonic G

While in a small Colorado town I passed a Masonic center that had this symbol over the door:

Masonic-Master-Mason-3D-G-Hanging

Having a “G” name, I often notice when there is a “G” sign.  The person I was with asked what the G stood for and I assumed “God” but wasn’t 100% sure.  So I Googled it!

I learned that it could mean God or it could mean Geometry or it could mean the “generative principle”…this is the definition I found:

The Blue Lodge Mason is taught that the "G" in the Masonic symbol represents God. Later on, he is told that it also represents "deity." Later still, he is told that it represents "geometry." In reality, this letter represents the "generative principle," the Sun-god and, thus, the worshipped phallus, the male "generative principle…" In its position (along with the Square and Compass) on the east wall over the chair (throne) of the Worshipful Master, it is the representation of the Sun, thus of the Sun-god, Osiris. Its earthly meaning, then, is of the sacred phallus; its cosmic meaning is of the Sun, worshipped since antiquity by pagans while facing the East.

The phallus eh? Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment