Friday, January 13, 2012

Brush your tongue?

Lately I’ve been asked a number of random questions for which I have no answers. Similarly, I’ve started challenging myself on things that I think I know about. These are questions largely about the world around us and how things work.  I’m realizing how little I know about a lot of these things. 

This is the first in a series about researching the answers to these pressing questions.

Why Brush your tongue?

Usually I brush my tongue with my toothbrush at the end of a toothbrushing.  I was about to recommend this to someone when I realized that I didn’t know if there actually are any benefits to this.  Research has shown there are some benefits.

Basically, brushing your tongue can reduce bad breath.  This is particularly true if you brush the back of the tongue as opposed to the front. It seems the front has more saliva and more of a “self cleaning” function, while the back doesn’t. 

There is a danger of activating the gag reflex with cleaning the back part of the tongue.  So a “tongue scraper” is recommended.  What is a tongue scraper you ask? Good question.  Here is what it looks like:

Tongue_Scraper

If you want to know how it works, google it.  The photos aren’t going on this blog.

So if you are concerned with bad breath, try brushing (or scraping) your tongue.

Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment