Saturday, December 17, 2011

It will pass

So I’m making this manchego-jalapeno beer bread the other night.  While cutting the jalapeno I absentmindedly licked my finger.  Instantly there was a soft burning sensation throughout my mouth and nose and sinuses.  The soft burning became more intense with every inhalation. My face was on fire. My tear ducts and mucus membranes leapt into action and I sat around the house with water pouring from my eyes and snot oozing out of my nose for about 90 minutes.  It was torturous.

I kept telling myself something throughout the experience: this will pass.  I had this happen in the past with my hand and knew that the pain would subside. While blowing my nose and trying to just sit with the throbbing face and deal with it, it occurred to me that “this will pass” is something I should keep in mind more often. How could I so rationally accept this while my face was on fire but I can’t get to that point when I’m feeling angry or sad or whatever?

It_will_pass_soon_enough

No comments:

Post a Comment