Thursday, September 8, 2011

Toronto – various

As opposed to taking photos of buildings or neighborhoods or historical things, I end up taking photos of random signs, public art and so on.

For example, these two larger than life monsters below were in the Distillery Historic District:

toronto 019

toronto 020

I found this “no trespassing” sign amusing because it looks like you aren’t supposed to lightly dance.  I don’t think it’s very intuitive…

toronto 062

These turtle signs requesting motorists to drive slowly were all over.  At first I thought it was just the work of one specific neighborhood, but they were everywhere.

toronto 133

This sign was slightly perplexing – was the kid looking for water or playing with a sling shot before he was zapped for touching something?

toronto 098

So, I did take a photo of one building.  I walked through a neighborhood to get to an Indian area of Toronto.  This neighborhood had lots of row houses and duplexes.  The duplex below stood out because the two owners clearly did not agree on the design!

toronto 065

When walking on Spadina Ave, I passed a store that had this human model in the window (see below).  Either the owner is really prudish or there is something really surprising beneath that square of paper towel!

toronto 145

I do have some evidence that I was there – even though there are no Toronto-specific things in the background…here’s me!

toronto 075

The public library had some interesting elements on the building – this owl was my favorite:

toronto 143

On my way to breakfast one morning I passed Wendy’s, which had this little mural on its external wall. I liked it not only because I know a Wendy (and she’s amazing), but also because it’s cool – it has such a laid back feeling. 

toronto 158

Finally, this is what I saw on my way home somewhere over the midwest:

toronto 062 (2)

Stay tuned for the final installment – Toronto street art!

No comments:

Post a Comment