Monday, September 19, 2011

Microblogging

Is Twitter dying? An article at tipping point labs indicates that it is and that Tumblr is well-positioned to be next.  I’m not sure about the demise of Twitter, but I am Tumblr-curious.

Tumblr is another microblogging platform and is an interesting hybrid between a full blown blog and a spot where you can spew a few sentences (Twitter). What is “microblogging” you ask? Well, according to Wikipedia it’s:

a broadcast medium in the form of blogging. A microblog differs from a traditional blog in that its content is typically smaller in both actual and aggregate file size. Microblogs "allow users to exchange small elements of content such as short sentences, individual images, or video links.”

It feels more appropriate to post an interesting Oatmeal link and a sentence rather than a full-blown blog post on Tumblr. Here are a few examples of Tumblr pages:

The list goes on but these give you a sense of the brevity of a tumblr.  I never got into Twitter and I already have a blog, but that didn’t stop me from starting something on Tumblr! I now have an additional spot from which to yell into the void. 

And now for something completely different – I re-watched Rushmore recently and it has rekindled my love of Wes Anderson films.  I was reminded of the Jason Schwartzman-Natalie Portman couple in the Hotel Chevalier short and thought I’d share a moment from that:

hotelchevalier719843rj0

No comments:

Post a Comment