Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Burning Plain

My man was camping somewhere last night and I took the opportunity to watch a movie that he may not be interested in seeing: The Burning Plain
The Netflix description:
Charlize Theron plays a depressed, sex-obsessed restaurant manager in this moody, fragmented drama -- screenwriter Guillermo Arriaga's directorial debut -- that weaves together four seemingly unrelated stories separated by time and space. A New Mexico housewife (Kim Basinger) begins a torrid affair, two teens mourn the death of their parents, and a young girl tries to mend her life in a Mexican border town.

burning_plain
I don’t recall this movie being in the theaters but I think it must have been.  I mostly enjoyed it.   The way that the stories melded into one was compelling.  It’s not a surprise from this writer, who also wrote 21 Grams and Babel, both of which involve tragedy and seemingly separate lives intersecting.

I learned that the cinematographer was the same as the one for There Will Be Blood, which explains how the locations were so full of life almost as to be a character themselves. The contrast of the soggy, ocean-side life of Charlize Theron’s character and the Kim Basinger character’s southwestern life spoke volumes about their situations. Basinger’s character was living a lie in broad daylight but also her situation was a plain, dusty old life that was breezing by her before the affair.  Theron’s character was confused, depressed and muddled.  The climates really complemented the characters well.

This movie was not well received by the critics but, as I think I’ve mentioned, I’m no critic.

No comments:

Post a Comment