Monday, September 29, 2008

Portland y'all! - part II

Friday, September 26th, 2008 - Portland: the coolest place in America.

Friday we rented bikes from the hostel. This is awesome because, as opposed to renting bikes from a bike shop, at the hostel we could rent the bike at 8:00am and return it by 11:30pm! None of that "have it back by 6:30pm" crap. So, we set out at about 8:15 am headed for St. Honore Boulangerie. On our last trip in 2007 we attempted to get here, but it's a bit north of the hostel and, on foot, felt really far away - not so with the bicycle! My goodness, I've visited some bakeries in my day (it's a surprise I don't have a fatter ass) and this is in the top three!!!! This picture is from the case but it was not, by far, the most they had. Any narrative description can't do it justice (and I didn't get that many good pictures...). I can say that the Normandy Apple Tart and almond croissant are not to be missed.

We left St. Honore sufficiently powered up for our bike ride up to Forest Park. When I say "up" that's exactly what I mean - it was up hill the whole freaking way. But it was through an awesome neighborhood - you know, the kind I know I could never afford because I would never be able to afford the day laborers working on the landscaping, the addition to the house, or powerwashing the outside stairs.

For us Denverites, living in a dry climate, Forest Park was really a treat. It was greener than green and lush with moss. We followed a dirt and gravel path up and up and up but there were hiking trails that one could take (we did not). This is me taking a picture of Sandy while riding the "comfort bike" (the Jamis Explorer - I don't recommend it).


This is a picture of me.
This is a picture of a banana slug! I love these large, slimy creatures. They are like fungus, once you find one, all you have to do is stop and look around and you'll find a bunch more.


We rode about 3 or so miles into Forest park and then turned around and headed for Washington Park to visit the zoo. I am ashamed to have visited this zoo and do not recommend it to others - it has to be the saddest zoo I've ever seen.

However, I did see this Odwalla dispenser there. It's so fitting - the only place I've ever seen a smoothie dispenser is in Portland. I did see a beer dispenser in Spain but that's different.

This sticker on the bike rack outside the horrible place is great ("live free or drive")- oh, and this is a picture of the Jamis that Sandy rode.

We rode across the river to the Hawthorne neighborhood - this is me in front of City Bikes.
We ate lunch at Doug Fir. This is Sandy, eating a "Fir Burger" (ha ha).

We spent the rest of the day biking around the city to various neighborhoods in the Southeast and Northeast. We bought wine, we bought cards, we bought more pastry, we bought all kinds of stuff.

Biking in Portland was so insanely easy. I mean, I've heard about the bicycle infrastructure but now that I've experienced it...

They put bike lanes on busy streets (which is good) and on lots of them.

They put signs up around town that help you wayfind!
In case you miss the sign, they put directional markings on the pavement!!!

We got around Portland from Northwest to Southwest to Southeast to Northeast and back again with a free Portland bike map and these wayfinding devices.

Eventually we found our way to Roots Organic Brewery where we, and a gazillion other people, watched the presidential candidates debate. Afterwards we adjourned to the Bridgeport Brewery and ate a lot of food.


Friday was the best of the three days in Portland. The bicycling was so much fun and the weather was beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. I am overcome with jealousy, Still, I'm hoping there's a part III!

    ReplyDelete