Saturday, January 19, 2013

Knitting Winter– Cozy edition

Sometime during my many searches for new knitting patterns on the interwebs, I started to come across patterns for “cozies.” For to-go coffee cups these are basically knitted sleeves, but cozies also include iPod cozies, tea cozies, and so on. I have to say that it is a perfect little project for scrap yarn (the yarn left over after a scarf, sweater, or whatever is done but that you love and don’t want to throw away).

Using Noro Kureyon yarn I made a bowl cozy. In all honesty this started out as a coffee cup cozy but I made it too wide.

photo

I had more success with Noro Kochoran yarn, which is sadly discontinued. But I had a bunch of scrap yarn of this kind because it’s so much fun to knit with that I couldn’t part with it. This is the result:

jan 3 2013 041

The Pattern

Materials: Worsted weight scrap yarn and size US 4 double-pointed needles (dpns)

CO 38 st over 3 dpns

Knit 6-8 rounds in 3-2 rib

reduce to 34 st by k2tog every other rib

Knit 6-8 more rounds in new rib pattern

Reduce to 30 st by k2tog remaining 3 st ribs (yields a 2-2 rib all the way around)

K to end

1 comment:

  1. Very nice. The colors remind me of Japanese pottery glazes that I studied as an undergrad art student. The illusion is probably aided by the fact they are in vessel form.

    Quite coincidentally, I've been planning to make a cozy for a 700 ml camping cook pot of mine, but I'll have to go with sewing and fleece because your knitting pattern is another language to me.

    ReplyDelete