Thursday, October 4, 2012

Mushrooms in a box

At the end of July I bought a box that touted 1-1.5 pounds of mushrooms that you could grow yourself! Of course, I love mushrooms and the thought of getting to watch them grow fascinated me. So I promptly bought a box. I followed the simple instructions on the box and set it on the counter in an appropriate place and waited. It was supposed to be 10 days to results…This is what it looked like to start, just a big rectangle of dirt and coffee grounds and spores and whatnot:

more august 2012 056

10 days came and went and I diligently watered the dirt morning and evening, but nothing. Sensing my deep disappointment, Seth did an amazing thing – he called the number on the box. They supplied him with an email address for a woman at the company named Jasmine, her email signature read “Community Happiness Guru.” By the time I contacted her 22 days had gone by and still nothing.

She recommended resoaking the dirt but this time for 24 hours as opposed to 12 and making sure I sprayed them with LOTS of water twice a day. I followed her instructions and voila! Action!

It started small – just a wee clump of fungus:

more sept 2012 010

Everyday more and more growth occurred:

more sept 2012 013

Then it started to happen – real mushroom action:

more sept 2012 018

more sept 2012 030

I ultimately think I got some sort of defective box because my mushrooms never got bigger than this and they certainly didn’t look like the mushrooms on the website. Nevertheless, I was ecstatic that the fungus finally bore fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment