Monday, October 1, 2012

Follow the creek

Over the years I’ve learned to avoid hikes that indicate that there is “some wayfinding” or “bushwacking” because it may as well say “you will get lost.” This extends to some “non-standard” 14er routes. I love the non-standard routes because you don’t see the usual crowds that 14ers get, but you have more of the outdoors to yourself. However, I no longer take them due to getting lost more than one time. So, I typically stick to hikes on which I can find information in a book or a website indicating length, elevation gain/loss, general route, etc.

That being said, we hiked James Creek this weekend. This is a hike that Seth found out about from a friend and that isn’t marked. We didn’t get lost per se, but I don’t think we were on the intended trail…there were so many trails leading off in various directions.  Our only instructions were to follow the creek. We ended up on a road between two gaging stations, but we did see some beautiful fall Colorado scenery.

For the last day in September, we got to see a good amount of golden aspens:

more sept 2012 040

more sept 2012 042

more sept 2012 057

more sept 2012 053

more sept 2012 058

We did find encouraging signs along the way, like this one:

more sept 2012 051

I take this as a sign from the universe that I should stay on my path and that I’m doing ok. Let’s hope there are more encouraging signs in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment