Sunday, February 5, 2012

Arrested Development

The song “Final Countdown” has a whole new meaning for me now that I’ve watched the Arrested Development series. Gob Bluth is a magical genius.

Arrested Development is about a wealthy family that loses most of their money and is left with a failing company and the patriarch in prison on embezzlement and light treason charges.  The family is beyond dysfunctional.  I mean there is a “never nude” in the show and a son with a hand missing that he lost to a “loose seal” and a failed magician that rides a segway everywhere. There is also a frozen banana stand that is featured prominently.  The main character lives in a model home in the middle of a property that was cleared and graded for a subdivision – but there is no subdivision, just bare earth. It’s a little over the top, but it is a sitcom…

As with most TV shows, it took me a while to get into it but somewhere in the middle of season 2 I became addicted. Jason Bateman as the sarcastic and deadpan Michael Bluth really won me over.  Michael Cera as his dorky, adoring son was a typical Michael Cera character but it worked. David Cross, as Tobias Funke who married into the family, was hilarious with his innuendo-filled lines (“I'm afraid I prematurely shot my wad on what was supposed to be a dry run if you will, so I'm afraid I have something of a mess on my hands.”)

Anyway, I enjoyed it and am looking forward to another season that is said to be in the works and will lead to a movie.

Here’s a taste of the absurdity:

No comments:

Post a Comment