Friday, June 17, 2011

Yurt weekend

My love affair with Colorado lives on and the flame isn’t close to going out.  A few weekends ago a friend and I ditched our thoughts of camping for a much more leisurely weekend – at Joyful Journey hot springs!
The weather was AMAZING.  Blue skies and pleasant clouds the entire drive down:
joyful J June2011 camera 002
Although Joyful Journey has actual rooms, we opted for a yurt! You can see more beautiful weather and a yurt (far left) below.  This was the view from the doorway of the yurt. A yurt is like a hotel room but with no bathroom and no climate control (other than fans).  There is a skylight and a wood floor and a queen-sized bed and other hotel room amenities. Some nicer yurts actually have little kitchens but not here, which was fine.
joyful J June2011 116
Happily, there was nothing to do but eat, drink, sleep, read, and soak.  Here’s me, post-soak.
joyful J June2011 123
It wasn’t all candy and puppies though, there were little biting gnats that ate me up.  I got one (or more) trapped under my hair on the back of my neck and had a patch of red, itchy bites. That didn’t deter us from an outdoor breakfast though. 
Here’s my breakfast mate, Altan.
IMG_1820
This is me, excited for breakfast:
joyful J June2011 145
Here’s the hazy sunrise from the door of our yurt:
joyful J June2011 136
Sunday we slowly made our way back north to Denver.  Stopped in Salida for breakfast and in South Park to check out its little old town area.
One of Salida’s many art galleries had a flock of needle-felted sheep in its window, which was so cute I had to document and, of course, share:
photo
That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment