Friday, May 20, 2011

Hot Springs with Buena Vista

My legs are resting on the edge of the pool, I’ve got two pool noodles supporting my back and arms, the sunlight is getting stronger as it comes over the San Juans, all I can hear are birds making their morning calls, and I’m just floating.  This was me at Joyful Journey hot springs for two and a half days.

Sometimes that serene moment was punctuated by the conversation of couples.  Being alone on vacation you get to overhear lots of (mostly boring) conversation between couples.  At night, however, the couples conversations can be silly and giggly.  Given that I’m steeped in thoughts about human relationships, these conversations were fascinating – even the boring ones.

I mean, what did/do I talk about as a couple? Outside of the occasional discussion about current political activity or random zombie conversations, couple conversations can be pretty mundane – what we are doing later, when should we take the cat to the vet or take the car in to have the oil changed, we should try this or that restaurant, and on and on.

Anyway, other than eavesdropping while soaking in the hot springs, I mostly read and slept, which was heavenly.  Here’s a typical shot of those days:

archer and BV may 2011 025 2

After emerging from the hot springs experience, I met Trisha in Buena Vista.  She ran a 25-mile trail run!  I know there are lots of people who do this, but I’m still in awe.

In the afternoon after the run, we made it a goal to visit as many patios in Buena Vista as possible.  The first of these was Mother’s Bistro. This is Trisha on the patio:

archer and BV may 2011 033 2

The patio was complete with a cat named Simba that circled my chair and let me pet it:

archer and BV may 2011 034 2

We both had glasses of white wine and shared a piece of caramel apple pie.  It was soooo nice.

archer and BV may 2011 035 2

When the sun started to set we made our way back to the Topaz Lodge and got to watch the sunset as we walked.

archer and BV may 2011 044 2

It was a lovely weekend and a good first solo trip for me.  I’ll definitely do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment