Friday, May 6, 2011

Data on my attractiveness

As is fairly well known at this point, I am doing the online dating thing.  One of the sites I’m on sent me an email a few weeks ago that I found hilarious.  It was from the site’s “interns.”  I’ve copied out most of the email and pasted it below:

An image of ghplan= good-looking

We are very pleased to report that you are in the top half of [the site’s] most attractive users. The scales recently tipped in your favor, and we thought you'd like to know.

How can we say this with confidence? We've tracked click-thrus on your photo and analyzed other people's reactions to you in [the site’s matching service].

Your new elite status comes with one important privilege: You will now see more attractive people in your match results. The people we recommend will be more attractive. Also! You'll be shown to more attractive people in their match results.”

What great news…I haven’t noticed a sincere uptick in “attractive” people coming my way via email from the dating site, but then, they don’t really define “attractive.”  I’m also wondering how “the scales recently tipped in [my] favor.”

What I wouldn’t do to get my hands on all the data to which these dating sites have access.  It’s all self-reported though, which pretty well skews any statistical validity but it sure would be fun to look at!

Not sure how much if anything I’ll actually share about dating here but stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment