Saturday, September 11, 2010

Hedgehog alert

So, I was adjusting my Google alerts a few weeks ago.  I added an alert for my name, which was recommended on various sites.  Unsurprisingly, no alerts have come into my inbox as of yet.  I also wanted to add a Google alert for something silly – hedgehogs! I find hedgehogs to be fascinating and fantastical animals and why not see what the great and might Google brings back on the topic?

First, a definition – what is a hedgehog?

A hedgehog in general is most commonly recognized as a small mammal with a coat of stiff, pointy quills covering their backs. They have pointy noses, and slightly bulging eyes located on the sides of the face. Their ears are typically rounded, though in some species, they are elongated, and located high on the sides of the head. They do have tails, but they are small and stubby, and of very little functional use. They can roll up in a ball when threatened.

 cute-hedgehog005 sonic-hedgehog-ll-year-old-pet-laws-kansas

I have come across some interesting information via the Google alert for hedgehogs. 

In the UK there are so many hedgehogs that there are hedgehog rescue centers like Tiggywinkles.  That’s right – Tiggywinkles.  Ok, Tiggywinkles takes in all kinds of animals but there is a hedgehog in its logo!  There are currently 161 hedgehogs at the center.

It seems that hedgehog couples can have a second batch of hoglets at the end of the summer, which doesn’t allow the hoglets to achieve the proper weight to make it through hibernation (600 grams).  These hoglets need to be collected and fed.  Also, many hedgehogs are orphaned during human gardening.  I mean the hogs live in the hedgerows, so they are in the line of fire (or weedwhacker or what have you).  Some of them are just injured – breaking legs is common.  Luckily they can be fitted with casts – no kidding.

hedgehog-injured

Of course, there are all manner of hedgehog-themed items out there.  For instance the watermelon hedgehog:

hedgehog watermelon There was a youtube clip that was going around for a while – the swimming hedgehog. I did some research and it is quite normal for hedgehogs to swim and it can be good exercise for them.

I get LOTS of Sonic the Hedgehog alerts, apparently there is a Sonic movie coming out in the near future.  Jolly.  I ignore those alerts.

One blog devoted to the joys and challenges of having a hedgehog may have convinced me that hedgehogs are perhaps not for me. Hedgehog Express talks about their fussy and moody hedgehog, Phinneus.  To be fair she also discusses the cuddly happiness of the hog. However, let’s take this quote:

Phinneus is a fiend. He always knows just how to wedge himself into tight places I cannot easily reach and cop a squat. He knows just how to ball up so that I literally have to drag him out and then hurriedly clean up the icky mess.

I don’t think I’m going to actually get a hedgehog but I’ll keep the Google alert!

No comments:

Post a Comment