Sunday, February 7, 2010

eight to go

As I mentioned in a blog post last week, I had ten movies to see before the Academy Awards. Now I have just eight! This week I watched four movies but only two of them were on my Academy Awards "must watch" list. You ready? Here is the rundown.

1. The Blind Side: In a very small nutshell, this is a movie based on a true story of a way-underprivileged African-American teenager in Memphis that is taken in by a well-to-do white family and thrives. Although it's one of the ten movies nominated for an Academy Award for best picture this year, it got average reviews. I resisted seeing it mostly because I thought it was "one of those sports movies" but really just didn't know much about it (also I'm not really a fan of Sandra Bullock). It's been four days since I've seen it and I have to say, I liked it. Sure it was a feel good movie but the true story part of it really hit home. Feel good movies can often times be cheesy and usually come around holiday time. If it wasn't based on a true story, I'd have a hard time believing it really happened. The New Orleans Times-Picayune review sums it up nicely:

  • "The message, of course, is that a simple act of kindness can have a profound impact on the trajectory of a life. There's built-in potential there for overwrought emotion and cloying, movie-of-the-week formula, but Hancock [the director] deftly dodges it, and "The Blind Side" ends up being a tear-jerker, a heart-warmer and a thorough crowd-pleaser in one tidy package.

2. (500) Days of Summer: In a bizarre twist, this movie got better reviews than The Blind Side. Just goes to show that you never can tell... Ok, what was this movie about? Let's see, boy meets girl but it's not a love story, which is fine but what is it really about? Sure, I like romantic comedies every now and then but not this one. Maybe I'm not young and hip enough and/or maybe I've been married too long but this movie was not my cup of tea.


Ok, I've gone on long enough for tonight. I'll discuss the other two movies in a "part two" later.

No comments:

Post a Comment