Sunday, January 24, 2010

Julia's Hurt Locker Hangover

I'm not sure what draws me to movies. I know that I'm drawn to movies more than TV because of my addictive personality. I mean I watched four TV shows (the entire series) between 2000 and 2009. Each one of the showsI devoured quickly. My life tends to go by the wayside as I spend hours each evening in front of the tube watching one episode after another. Movies are different - there is a defined beginning and ending and it generally doesn't go longer than three hours. This is not to say that I look down on those who watch TV. On the contrary, it usually means they have something resembling self control.

So, this week I've watched three movies:

1. The Hurt Locker: My expectations were high going into this one because I had heard good but vague things. It certainly was intense and covered a facet of modern war that isn't usually touched upon - teams that are called in to handle IED (improvised explosive devices). David Denby of the New Yorker says, "The specialized nature of the subject is part of what makes it so powerful, and perhaps American audiences worn out by the mixed emotions of frustration and repugnance inspired by the war can enjoy this film without ambivalence or guilt. 'The Hurt Locker' narrows the war to the existential confrontation of man and deadly threat." I agree with that, I was enthralled by the gear, the protocol and the technique of defusing these bombs.


2. The Hangover: I'm not trying to be uppity here but, I don't generally find that many "comedies" that funny. I went into this one expecting the typical one chuckle film but braced my self with a few glasses of wine. Life is all about expectations. I expected crap but got something not quite crap. There were definitely cliches in the movie (like the expected Las Vegas midnight marriage) but I did like the random chaos - e.g. crazed Asian guy jumping naked out of a trunk and the way the hotel room looked (not the tiger but the chicken, which was a nice touch).


3. Julie & Julia: No expectations going into this one actually. I found it to be a fun movie with interesting commentary on the perceived role of women in the fifties, personified by Julia Child looking for something to do with herself (should it be hat making or learning bridge?). Similarly, the modern theme of blogging and the struggle for success and how to define success in our modern world (for women or men). Both Meryl Streep and Amy Adams were compelling, Streep slightly more so.


Bon apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment