Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Hundertwasser

More art/artists I like! Hundertwasser is another one that I don't know how I found but as soon as I laid eyes on his work, I loved it. He was both an architect and an artist. Although I enjoy his paintings, I have been increasingly drawn to his other-worldly architecture.

This is one of Friedensreich Hundertwasser’s final creations, Waldspirale (Wooded Spiral). It was finished in 2000, a year after Hundertwasser died. And yes, this is a real residential apartment house with real people living in it.

Some other architecture examples of Hundertwasser


Interestingly, I have just discovered that his work has been compared to Gaudi's, which I profess a love of in our blog.

One web site indicates that, "The common themes in his work utilized bright colors, organic forms, a reconciliation of humans with nature, and a strong individualism, rejecting straight lines." This is appealing.

1 comment: