Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Phoenix, Arizona

Phoenix for me was a melancholy room at the historic Hotel San Carlos where I camped out with a cold.  Well, that is what was going on with me when I wasn’t at the WTS Chapter Leadership training, which was being held in a different hotel about a half mile away.  That’s right, I got to commute via foot through the desolate, dusty streets of “downtown” Phoenix for two mornings. 

The first night in town I wandered fruitlessy through those empty streets in search of dinner and perhaps a beer.  While I didn’t really find anywhere good to eat I did see some Phoenix sights.  This is supposed to be an artistic interpretation of a desert flower on the ASU campus:

phoenix nov11 021

I also got to see the famous “Westward Ho” building.  An old hotel-turned senior housing or something.

phoenix nov11 022

This little guy was a treat to come across – seriously.  How often do you get to see a gecko on the sidewalk??

phoenix nov11 036

Of course, I took the light rail a bit. This is Phoenix’s relatively new light rail line:

phoenix nov11 046

On my last afternoon there I walked about a mile and a half from “downtown” and visited the Phoenix Art Museum.  This was my first solo visit to an art museum (or museum of any kind).  It’s different when it’s just you; it’s just your own thoughts and contemplation.  I was ok with that.  Here are some photos from my art museum experience.

phoenix nov11 052

There was a place on one floor with tall windows and big, black, leather chairs.  I sat for some time in those chairs observing the sunny Phoenix afternoon through the glass.

phoenix nov11 055

I think this was saved from an old hotel sign (the hotel was destroyed in some tragic catastrophe of some kind).

phoenix nov11 056

This is just a frog I really liked.

phoenix nov11 061

Me

phoenix nov11 050

Parting shot:

phoenix nov11 067

That was Phoenix for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment