Monday, October 25, 2010

People and movement

Yesterday I deboarded my seventh flight this month.  I’ve been in airports in Denver (of course), San Antonio, Dallas, New York City, and Portland.

I’ve taken in a lot of different people.  Mostly people waiting.  Waiting for flights to board, waiting in line for food, waiting on planes for their life to continue on the ground.  So many large people.  A few interesting looking people – an older woman in black leather Wranglers, a white gauzy button up through which her black bra was on display for instance.  Not too many overtly happy people. 

Not much smiling and warmth happening in airports and on planes.

After so much travel (for me) back-to-back and an amazing week at Rail~Volution, meeting so many fascinating people and doing so many enjoyable things, everything hit me and I felt exhausted.  As a result, on the flight from Portland to Denver, I found myself doing something I haven’t done much lately – I listened to music for a few hours. No writing, no reading, no sleeping - just giving myself over to music.  I listened to Nina Simone, Devotchka, Bebel Gilberto, Iron & Wine, the Willowz, and others. 

Feeling Good by Nina Simone was the impetus.  The song had been rolling through my head for a few days. 

Still mentally sorting things out.

No comments:

Post a Comment